Vehicle pursuit from Buena Park ends with shooting in Oceanside

Lights can be seen in the dark on a stretch of freeway in San Diego.
The backup on Interstate 5 in the early-morning hours Saturday Nov. 22, 2025 after a motorist was shot by law enforcement. (Photo courtesy of OnScene.TV)

A police pursuit ended in Oceanside Saturday with a shooting involving law enforcement that shut down Interstate 5 for hours, authorities said.

The shooting left the suspect with “major injuries,” according to the California Highway Patrol, which said a firearm was recovered at the scene.

Officers with the Buena Park Police Department attempted to pull over a gray 2005 Cadillac
CTS for a traffic violation at about 12:45 a.m. Saturday, near the intersection of La Palma Avenue and San Marino Drive, authorities said.

The driver took off, leading officers on a pursuit through Orange County, Long Beach and back into Orange County on southbound I-5, Buena Park Sgt. Martin Tomsick said.

Officers turned the pursuit over to the California Highway Patrol at 1:05 a.m., but kept their K-9 Unit involved in the chase at the request of the CHP, according to Tomsick.

The San Diego County Sheriff’s Office dispatched aerial drones at 2:15 a.m. to assist with finding the suspect, according to SDSO Lt. Sean Gallagher.

Tomsick said the pursuit ended in gunfire on southbound I-5 in the Camp Pendleton area and that a Buena Park K-9 officer and at least one CHP officer fired their weapons at a suspect. It appeared no officers were injured, he said.

In a late evening news release, the CHP added details about the shooting, saying that the Cadillac driver, armed with a handgun, exited the vehicle and fled on foot just prior to the shooting.

For several hours the suspect remained in a “large brush area” in the median between the northbound and southbound lanes of the freeway north of Harbor Drive, the CHP said. Despite commands from CHP and Buena Park officers, the suspect refused to surrender and remained uncooperative until 7:40 a.m., when they were able to take the person into custody.

The CHP offered no further information on the driver’s condition or identifying characteristics such as gender or age.

During their investigation, officers recovered an unserialized firearm, known as a “ghost gun,” in the area where the suspect was taken into custody, the CHP said. The agency’s Border Division Major Crimes Unit is investigating the cause and sequence of events during the pursuit and shooting.

I-5 was temporarily closed in both directions, and a Sigalert was issued shortly after 2:30 a.m. between Harbor Drive in Oceanside and Christianitos Road in San Clemente, according to the CHP.

CHP Officer Hunter Gerber said northbound I-5 through Camp Pendleton was partially open for lanes 2-4 as of 9:30 a.m., while the No. 1 lane remained closed. Lanes 2-4 reopened shortly before 2 p.m., and all northbound and southbound lanes on were opened by mid-afternoon.

Traffic on southbound I-5 from San Clemente had been being diverted to the right shoulder south of Christianitos, according to Gerber.

Updated, 8:55 p.m. Nov. 22, 2025

Source – Indonesia News